How to Choose the Best Home Rowing Machine
Rowing machines or rowers are designed to simulate the action of rowing a boat. They provide one of the best fat-burning and body-building workouts - they stress the biggest muscle groups in the body like the back and legs. Rowing machines provide low impact cardio workouts by putting minimal stress on hips, knees, and ankle joints.
On the other hand, rowers tend to emphasize pulling motions - something to consider in order to avoid imbalances.
When buying rowing machines, consider a few things:
- price - as usual with other exercise machines, price varies greatly from model to model. Pricier models often last longer, have more realistic rowing experience, have better control panels, etc. Read details and if you are satisfied with a cheaper model, why buy a more expensive one when you really don't need it.
- resistance system - air resistance, magnetic brake system, hydraulic brake system, water break system - each brake system has its own benefits and drawbacks. For example, the magnetic brake system offers the best options for preset programs, while the water brake system offers the most realistic rowing experience.
- size - some models can be folded and stored away - just be careful, out of sight, out of mind; on the other hand, larger models do require much more space to store and use.
- control panel - provide information about rowed distance, time, calories burned, heart rate, rowing program (magnetic brake system), etc.
- features can be numerous like heart rate monitors, wireless, USB port, etc.
- warranty - for rowers or just part of them. More expensive rowers have longer warranties for most important parts or entire rower, cheaper rowers have shorter warranties, often only for some parts.
Of course, there are many other little details that one must consider when buying a new rower and those details are often very personal.
For more information about rowing and rowing machines, feel free to check our articles (links open in the new windows):
- Benefits of Rowing Machine Workouts
- Calculate Calories Burned on the Rowing Machine
Rowers Reviews and Recommendations
Rowers reviews and recommendations provide you with information and our opinions about rowing machines. You can agree with us or not, but we have really tried to provide as objective reviews as possible - after all, opinions differ.
Each article has at least one Amazon link - it is fair to say that we participate in Amazon's affiliate program and if you do buy something on Amazon following our link, we get commission.
However, this doesn't influence our reviews, because the reasons why we might like a specific rower could be the reasons why you don't like it and vise versa :)